- Federal Loans and Grants for College
- Private Loans for College
- Home Equity Line of Credit
- Whole Life Insurance/Universal Life Insurance
- Borrowing from Your Qualified Retirement Plans
If your credit rating is good, you may qualify for various types of commercial loans. For each one, check the interest rate and what it is based on, if there is a cap on the rate, what the cap is based on, and how soon you have to begin paying the loan.
To get a copy of your credit report call Experian (888-397-3742; www.experian.com), TransUnion (800-916-8800; www.transunion.com), or Equifax (800-525-6285; www.equifax.com). When you get the report, it will not tell you your credit score, but it will give you an indication if your credit rating is good or bad. If your credit rating is not good, you may see late payments, defaults, and lots of credit outstanding. Also check to make sure there are no mistakes.